Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Fantasia" (1940) [Series] - Concept Oil Painting

More "Fantasia" items in the Cowan Collection...

This is a fantastic piece. What attracted me to the piece was its dark and sinister mood -- very different from the water color pieces that are in our collection.  In fact, this piece has to be displayed in a very bright location so the viewer can see the tremendous shadow detail.  I'm afraid photographs don't do a very good job of capturing the extraordinary artistic work...

One individual mentioned that it may have been done by Tom Codrick (I'm not sure about the spelling), but I don't have any verification of that fact...

Fantasia Oil Painting (click to enlarge)






----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “Fantasia” (1940).  The Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence.  An oil painting of the stairs leading to the Sorcerer's lair.  Dark, mysterious.  Note: Perhaps drawn by Tom Codrick. [ From Sotheby's: Walt Disney color study from "Fantasia," 1940.  The oil on paper is a conceptual study of the Sorcerer's lair from The Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence, inscribed "Prod 2004 Seq. 004", matted.  9.5x11.5 ]  Sotheby's auction 7491.  [Item: 17-3/4"W x 16"H]  SeqID-0714

2 comments:

  1. Very atmospheric! I think I've seen a few other pre-production studies that resemble this style, and I know that oils were not uncommon around this period (I've seen a few Bambi oil paintings as well). Wow, if your collection was JUST the Fantasia stuff it would still be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Thanks so much for the comment!

    - I know that oils were not that uncommon, it is just that I have not seen that many. In fact, one of the oils I have is a Bambi background when Thumper is Twiterpatted...

    - And thank for the comment about the overall collection! I've enjoyed putting the material up on the blog. The comments and additional background information (including corrections to incorrect information I have) has been fantastic.... Sure beats having them just hang on the walls....

    Bob ;-D

    ReplyDelete