Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

"Snow White" (1937) [Series] - Cel of Queen and the Heart Box

More of the "Snow White" material in the Cowan Collection....

This is the last item in the "Snow White" series. I hope you have enjoyed looking at them! -- Bob


Probably one of the more horrific scenes is when the Queen thrusts a box toward the Huntsman and tells him to cut out Snow White's heart, place it in this ornate box and return it to her as proof of Snow White's death. Perhaps this form of "proof" was commonplace, but I found it a little shocking when I first saw the film (being a somewhat sheltered boy growing up in Iowa).

I remember seeing a similar image about twenty years ago and it took another fifteen years to find one for sale. After all, how could anyone say "No" to that face! Great character moment!

Originally in a Courvosier frame, the piece was repaired by S/R Labs. We removed the plain S/R Labs matte and re-matted the piece in gold leaf with red velvet.


Cel of Queen and Heart Box (click to enlarge)



----------

In 2002, I received a letter from my father saying that he saw an article on animation in "Popular Science" on animation and thought I might be interested. As I pulled out the enclosed article, a small image caught my attention. There was my Queen on the wall! I thought you might like to see it as well...

Popular Science Article



----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “Snow White” (1937) A gouache on celluloid depicting the Wicked Queen holding the box meant to hold Snow White's heart, applied to an airbrushed background. The matte is stamped on the lower right hand corner "Original WDP" The artwork includes a Courvoisier Galleries label on the back. Condition: excellent." [Item: 14.25"W x 14.5"H; Image: 8 3/16"W x 7-7/8"H] Acquired 1999. SeqID-0426 Updated: 8/1/2005

SeqID 0426 Sleeping Beauty Queen. Reference: Hirshberg, Charles & Sinha, Gunjan. "Citizen Science," Popular Science, May 2002, Page 83

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...this looks familiar. :)

    So very happy that it found such a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jed - LOL! I should have mentioned you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely iconic image; i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete