Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2008

"On Ice" (1935) [4 of 4] - Miniature Cel of Horace and Clarabelle

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings!

Since I will be away for part of December, I thought this would be a good opportunity to post some Christmas/Holiday related art. To see other holiday related items, select "Category-Holiday" from the "Content by Category" list on the right.


Continuing with Holiday images... I thought I'd pull out some items from the 1935 "On Ice" film.

When I first saw this miniature cel of Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow skating, I was amazed! I was first struck by the cel's tiny nature. Up until then, all we had picked up were the large image cels that were the main focus of the scene. It never really struck me that there were a number of other cels that were running in the background... As I moved closer, I was impressed with the level of detail. In looking at this image, please remember than the characters are only about 1-inch square!

Close-up of Miniature Cel of Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow



Rather than trim the cel, we put the entire piece in the frame and the large matte area actually draws attention to the small piece in the center.




----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “On Ice” (1935). A small (2x2") cel of Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow ice dancing. Very small and precise. [Image: 2-5/8"W x 2"H; Frame: 11"W x 10-3/4"H] Acquired 1990. SeqID-0095 8/3/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment