Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Mail Pilot" (1933) - Mickey and Minnie Pencil & Serigraph (3 of 20)

As a pilot, I tended to pick up items with an aerospace theme. The 1933 film "Mail Pilot" caught my attention and I ended picking up a number of items from the film. I thought I share the group with you.

I featured these two images early in the blog, but they are worth showing again.

I picked up the Mickey & Minnie pencil in 1990. I loved the enthusiastic Mickey, the shy Minnie and the excited "goofoid" figures carrying the airplane's frame. Just a good image. Also notice the notations for the zoom...

Mickey, Minnie & "Goofoid" Pencil


In 1992, I was in the Disney Store in Kansas City and saw the Mickey/Minnie "Mail Pilot" serigraph in the window. I knew I had a similar pencil sketch and thought it might be interesting to have the two of them shown close together. It wasn't until I got home that I realized how close the two images were in the sequence!

Mickey, Minnie & Goofoid Serigraph


Frankly, I'm not sure why Disney didn't use a frame closer to mine for the serigraph. While interesting, I think the pencil I have shows more energy and "fun" than the image Disney chose to immortalize as a serigraph!



----- DATABASE NOTES -----

From “Mail Pilot” (1933). Pencil sketch of Mickey and Minnie riding in a plane carried by “Goofoid” characters. Similar pose to 1992 serigraph SeqID-0071 [12”W x 8.5”H; 2-hole] Acquired 1990. SeqID-0072 7/15/2005

From “Mail Pilot” (1933, 1992). Mickey and Minnie sitting in the frame of the plane [SeqID 72]. Being carried by lots of “Goofoid” characters. Similar to pencil sketch. Serigraph, edition size: 2,500. Similar pose to SeqID-0072 [13”W x 10”H] Acquired 1992. SeqID-0071. The title for the film changed over the years: "Mickey Mouse, the Mail Pilot," "The Mail Pilot," "Mail Pilot." There is a black & white reproduction of this sequence (called the "mail must go through" sequence) in the 1934 edition of "Mickey Mouse Movie Stories."

No comments:

Post a Comment